Goals and Objectives
The Jordanian Media Credibility Monitor (AKEED) seeks to achieve the following goals and objectives:
1. Contributing toward supporting and protecting the right of society to know.
2. Contributing toward helping media outlets to improve the quality of media content and performance.
1. Contributing toward spreading the culture of media accountability in the midst of media outlets, journalists, and society. This will make the public adopt daily practices of verifying the news that is flowing from the channels of media outlets. It will also turn the public from being a passive recipient into an active recipient who subjects information to scrutiny and examination.
2. Contributing toward raising the performance of Jordanian media outlets through developing the abilities of journalists to access information from its sources.
3. Contributing toward spreading the culture of information quality in journalistic work through the constant improvement of inputs, operations, and outputs.
4. Determining the extent of commitment of media outlets to the application of self-regulation instruments, such as the Jordanian Press Honor Code, professional and ethical codes of conduct, professional rules, and ethical principles.
5. Revealing false or misleading news or news that distorts facts, relies on half-truths, or that is marred by professional imbalances in accessing or handling sources.
6. Publishing selected alternative examples of professional practices of high quality in handling information and its sources in issues or coverage instances that suffered from distortion and imbalances in handling information.
7. Creating independent national terms of reference for developing the standards of credibility and quality of press information through the documents and reports issued by the Monitor.
8. Introducing a new professional practice in monitoring media outlets and holding them accountable, based on scientific foundations and in line with the best professional practices.